Books I've read

Demetra's books

Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Divergent
Magic Study
Darklight
Poison Study
Angels' Blood
Dreams of Gods & Monsters
Days of Blood & Starlight
Sinner
Νυχτερινοί Ψίθυροι
Forever
The Divide
The Power
The Captive
The Initiation
Linger
Between the Spark and the Burn
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Facing Facts
Belonging


Demetra's favorite books »

Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey #3) by Julie Kagawa

My name is Meghan Chase. 

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, where behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron Fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from my banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it. 

This time, there will be no turning back. 



Paperback, 358 pages 
Published January 25th 2011 by Harlequin Teen 



My Rating: 3.5/ 5
Genres: Fantasy, Young-Adult
Read from August 4 to 5, 2014





MY REVIEW:

Right after Meghan and Ash fleet the courts, and try to figure out their common future, a bunch of Iron Fey meet them in order to take Meghan to the False King with them. Realizing that this threat is not over, they seek refuge in Leanansidhe's apartments. Over there, Meghan makes a bargain with the Queen of Exiles in order to get Paul, her biological father, back hoping that he will regain his memory and recognize Meghan as his daughter. Leanansidhe lents them a cottage, where the "merry" quartet consisted of Meghan, Ash, Puck and Paul (with lots of arguments going on between Meghan and Puck) take residence for a little while.

Not a long time after, Oberon and Mab send word to their children that their exiles would be cancelled if Meghan and Ash went after the False king, which they decide to do.

Honestly? The first part, the one I described on the first paragraph, bored me to death. The second part, repays for the first's laziness with lots of action and a touching ending, which made me say with absolute certainty that Meghan has changed a lot throughout the series. What was dissatisfying is that almost in the middle of the book, I had guessed the ending, because it was perfectly clear how things would go. 




THE CHARACTERS:




  • Meghan Chase:


Throughout this book, Meghan changes a lot. She is not that whiny, she sacrifices herself for the others when is truly needed and for the first time in this series, i approve her choices. The fate she was destined for required a lot of strength and patience, and the only trace of the old Meghan i saw throughout the story was her, dismissing the dreams in which Machina tried to help her. Stupid girl. In the love triangle between her, Puck and Ash I was always fond of Puck, but i was proud of her when she got angry with him - he lied about her father, and she had every right to do so. 

  • Ash: 

“  “How is it going to work, Ash?”  I half turned to face him. “Where will we be a year from now, two years from now? I can’t stay here forever – sooner or later, I’m going to have to get on with my life. School, work, college someday…” I broke off and looked down at my hands. “I have to move on eventually, but I don’t want to do any of these things without you.”   - Meghan

When Meghan and Ash leave the Faery world, they have many upcoming but simple difficulties coming up between them. Their return to the courts makes those difficulties much more complicated, until it becomes obvious that if Ash continues his life as a winter fey, they wont be able to be together at all. What I don't like at all when it comes to Ash, is that from the beginning of this book he has transformed to some sort of a loyal and soppy man's best friend. Where did the brooding Ice Prince go?






  • Puck


  “Why didn’t you tell me!”, I burst out, making Puck flinch again. Clenching my fists, I stalked over to where he sat. Glamour flicked around me, hot and furious. “All that time, all those years, of knowing and you never said anything! How could you? You were supposed to be my friend!”    - Meghan 





By hiding the truth from Meghan for sixteen years, Puck has to confront Meghan's rage and Ash's rivalry because on top of all?
“   Puck’s eyes gleamed, feral and menacing. “Oh, I don’t know, princess. Maybe it was because I was stupid enough to care about you. Maybe Iactually thought I had a chance. Silly me, thinking that one little kiss meant anything to you.”

“You kissed him?” Ash sounded like he was trying to hide his shock. I cringed. Things were rapidly spinning out of control. My father seemed to pick up on the tension, and banged harder on the keys.
I stared at Puck, torn between anger and guilt. “We’re not talking about that right now,” I began, but he overrode me.
“Oh, I think we should,” Puck interrupted, crossing his arms. I started to protest, but he raised his voice. “So, tell me, princess, when you said you loved me, was that a lie?”   


My personal opinion is that Puck did well hiding the truth from Meghan for sixteen years, but when she met Paul in Leanansidhe's mansion, lost memory or not, he should have told her. As for the toxicity of his presence in front of the couple, he had every right to do so - Meghan didn't play fair at all, and she had to pay for it. 


If you want to check out my reviews on the rest of the books in the series, click on the image below to be redirected:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: If you don't have a google account, you can always email me at demetra.is.blogging@gmail.com and leave me a private comment. Comments that are irrelevant to the subject of the post will not be published.