Books I've read

Demetra's books

Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Divergent
Magic Study
Darklight
Poison Study
Angels' Blood
Dreams of Gods & Monsters
Days of Blood & Starlight
Sinner
Νυχτερινοί Ψίθυροι
Forever
The Divide
The Power
The Captive
The Initiation
Linger
Between the Spark and the Burn
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Facing Facts
Belonging


Demetra's favorite books »

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Obsidian (Lux 1) by Jeniffer L. Armentrout

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things where looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.


Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.


The hot alien living next door marks me.


You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like a Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


Paperback2nd Edition335 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Entangled Teen (first published November 23rd 2011)
My Rating: 3.8/5
Genres: Young-Adult, Paranormal
Read from July 17 to 19, 2014
Get online in Alibris




THE REVIEW:



Well, it was ok. I had some problems at first with the fact that Daemon was acting quite like an asshole, and i was reluctant to see Kate's response to that. Plus, I LOVED the fact that this book had some small parts of trolling Twilight, i really ROFLEd when i came across them. 



“What are you? A vampire?”
He rolled his eyes “Are you serious?”

....
“Will you show me you what you really look like? You don’t sparkle, do you?








Well, Daemon and Katie's relationship is really unique. It's obvious that beneath the surface they care for each other and more than that, there is something building up between them but they won't be in the same place without a quarrel at the least. I swear that after the hell of insults he gave her, i would burn the book if they ended up with a "happily ever after". I liked Kate's character and wits though, and the fact that she mistrusted his intensions in the end. Plus, she is a blogger!! She is a book lover!! How many times have you stumbled across a female character who has OTHER interests apart from her lovelife? [SPOILER] She has standards too, but that doesn't stop her from "heavily making out" with Daemon. [End of Spoiler] Plus, I am really bored stumbling across male characters who act like moral nuns strait from a monastery. Daemon? Yes, he is a "douchebag". Yes, he is an alien. And yes, he is a male who acts like a male and grabs any given chance to have fun. 




As about the other characters of the book there isn't much to say. I find Dee too naive for my tastes, though i  like that it's natural and not any kind of pretense. Ashe is bitchy tho the heart and annoying but we don't see her often - Katie, Daemon and Ashe shear a unique moment somewhere in the first chapters of the book [SPOILER] (Katie dumping her spaggeti on both of them in an act of annoyance and jealousy) [End of Spoiler] which made me laugh out loud for a long time. I really really REALLY like Lesa, her humor and straightforward-ness. Generally this book's characters act like normal teens, and they are alive down to the core.

What did cost this book the 4th star i would open handendly give to the raiting, is that for reasons that are still not overt to me it did not hold my interest to the end. So yes, it was not "thrilling". it was "ok".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: If you don't have a google account, you can always email me at demetra.is.blogging@gmail.com and leave me a private comment. Comments that are irrelevant to the subject of the post will not be published.